Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Oh Sunny Day!

Glorious run in the sun today!  The blue sky was amazing.  Went six miles and loved every step.  Wore shorts to have as much skin/sun contact as possible.  Put me in a wonderful state-of-mind!  Oh sunny day (go ahead, hum along!) 

I haven't written for awhile and the reason was the grey.  You see, living in the Pacific Northwest does have its benefits - cool weather that's perfect for running, low summertime humidity, stunningly beautiful mountains, year-round green, a flush of blooms in the spring.....I could go on and on.  One of the major drawbacks of this area however (for me at least) is the grey.  We can go weeks without seeing blue in the sky.  The clouds hang low and the water drips from them.  The sky changes throughout the day from a deep, dark grey, to a lighter, brighter shade of grey, easing into a medium grey, and then back to the ominous grey.  As a matter of fact, I remember writing to a friend the winter after we moved here and saying that I now understood why there were two ways to spell, "grey" - it was so people here in the PNW could vary their weather reports.... light grey changing to dark gray and then back to heavy, deep grey.  Don't even get me started on the many terms for rain here.  Anyway, the grey is the reason for the writing lapse.  I find it hard to find my happy place when the clouds are hanging over my head.  Running is extremely important to me during these times.  It is my therapy, and it allows me to soak up any ambient light out there.  This is another reason why I'm a daylight runner.  I don't like running in the dark (i.e. before work) because it doesn't help as much during the grey season here.  I am proud to say that I kept my miles up during the weeks of grey that we just endured.  I ran in medium grey, light grey, and ominous, dark gray - and every shade of gray in between.  Someday I'll describe to you all the different types of "rain" that I ran in too.  But, that's for another day, for today it's blue sky day!!  I may just have to go out and run again!!

3 comments:

Backofpack said...

Although I notice the shades of gray, I am a happy native who doesn't mind. Strange, huh?

I'm glad you got out and enjoyed the sun today!

Journey to a Centum said...

The last time I read a rant about the gray winters we have was back in High School. The city of Blaine was considering a town theme with Black and White as the colors for all buildings in the town. My friend’s brother wrote a letter to the editor of the local fish wrap that was similar to your shades of gray breakdown. His final words were something like... And when the white fades to gray and the black fades to gray we will all blend into nonexistence camouflaged in the gray.

Mama said...

I'm just glad you can think well enough with all this grey/gray weather to compose a blog at all. I just ordered a full spectrum light to see if that helps me.

Be Free,
Lorri